Double Bay Sailing Club farewells Keith Piggin, one of the great figures in the club’s history.
Keith was the son of one of the club’s founders, Ross Piggin, who contributed the first £10,000 to the club and whose shed at the end of Beach Street was used as the club’s initial boat storage facility.
Keith was one of the original “youngsters” who sailed Vaucluse Juniors with the club when it was formed in 1956. He continued his membership into adulthood, and was President from 1986 to 1997.
Under his leadership, a strong financial base was built, new RIBs were purchased, marks and flags were upgraded, race management systems were modernised, working relationships with the Australian 18-footers League and Sydney High School were formed, and the clubhouse his father had built was maintained and improved. Most importantly, Keith’s personal skills of friendship and fairness developed a congenial culture that inspired membership.
The results were demonstrable. The club became known for its quality racing and welcoming culture, and membership grew steadily, attracting members from around the harbour, and doubling the size of the Laser fleet.
Keith’s contribution provided a legacy that the club still enjoys to this day, attracting the largest laser fleets on Sydney Harbour each weekend, and characterised by a high standard of racing competition and an active and inclusive social community.
Keith was made a life member of the club in 1990. He will be missed and not forgotten.
Keith’s funeral will be held at St Mark’s Darling Point at 12.30pm this Friday, 21 July, followed by a wake at Double Bay Sailing Club from 2pm.