A crystal blue sky, warm May temps, and a decent 10 to 12 knot westerly breeze enticed a fleet of over 25 sailors to participate in the opening heats of the first ever DBSC Winter Series last Sunday. The racing started promptly at 8:30am (causing some of the fleet to miss the first race) and we were off the water by 10:30am to enjoy some hot tomato soup on the deck courtesy of Paul Adam and Peter Collie. A shorter course and a combined fleet start (with the Radials starting one minute ahead of the standard rigs) made for a competitive and fun morning of racing. The winners for the day were, Full Rigs: Rod Barnes (heats 1 and 2), Anthony Scaly (heat 3); Radials: David Rogers (heat 1), Peter Heywood (heats 2 and 3). Full results are now available in the results section of our website. Thanks to Ian Alexander, Pippa Batchelor and Simon Stone for putting on a great day of early morning competition.
The next instalment of the Winter Series will be on Sunday 20 May. A few things to remember if you’re racing with us in this series:
- Briefing time is 7.45am – rig and change before then
- Recommend splash at 8am LATEST – so you don’t miss the first race!
- Starts will have a horn sounded every minute – 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0 (SIs will be updated to reflect this). If a horn is missed, the start will still proceed
- No other change to the starts – Radials start on 1 and Standards on 0. Flags will remain unchanged from existing SIs
- There was discussion about removing the wing mark in a westerly – this will NOT occur. The course will remain as published
- The Brett Beyer Winter Program starts for the next races on 20 May – if you've signed up for this program, be early to get your GPS units and bibs and RETURN BIBS AFTER SAILING
- After sailing we have soup and bread, thanks to Paul Adam and Peter Collie – please stay and enjoy that on the front deck
- Max Dzhura will have results available about 30min after boats are derigged and results will be published on the website
- If you are a member and are planning to sail more than a few times, but are not rostered as PRO/COTD/Co-COTD (which you will know if you have not already received an email from Mark Crowhurst), please be fair to your clubmates and let us know